Monday, April 6, 2009

Saturday April 4 - Bastrop Park 26 mile run

This run ended up going surprising well considering the heat/humidity and my poor nutrition during the run. This is a very hard distance for me to run. We started out at 7am at Bastrop State Park. The workout was to run the "Spokes"(6 miles) + one loop of the purple trail (7 miles) and then repeat to get the 26 miles. The "Spokes" were a way to add hills into our workout. The morning started out very humid so the first set of spokes plus the purple loop was tiring. I said bye to Jon after this loop since he was done with his workout and getting ready to leave.

Stephanie and I set out together for the second loop of the spokes. It was less humid by now, but I was still recovering from it and very very thirsty. I took a few bites of my p&j sandwich while running and drank a lot of water. The sandwich wasn't very appetizing to me so I only got a few bites down. Stephanie got ahead of me and I caught up with her doing the loop. We both ran over to the restroom in the campground and washed our faces with water - it felt good!

After the spokes I grabbed some watermelon at the car. That was the only thing that was sounding good to me. I also was eyeing Stephanies avocado - I have to bring some next time. Stephanie gave me half of her p & honey sandwich but I only took a bite or 2. Robert was out of water here! I drank most of my camelpack during the spokes so was really disappointed and wanted cold water. Luckily Joel (from Joe's group) had a big cold water jug in his car and I filled up with that. I was so thankful for that!!

Stephanie, Joel and I took off shortly after for our last loop of the purple trail. Joel didn't plan to do the whole loop - just an out and back. They had me start out front - Joel was behind me for awhile. This really mentally helped me push through the first half of the loop knowing he was close behind. I never actually knew when he was no longer behind me. I took my last gu with about 4-5 miles left, I was feeling my energy draining. Around this same time I put on my ipod- both gave me a much needed energy burst! At about 1-2 miles from the finish I had a stomach cramp. Just a minute or two of walking made it better and I was able to run the rest of the way in!

After finishing I felt like I could have run more. I hung around for awhile waiting for the others to come in. This was a very long day but I am so glad I did it! My garmin recorded 5 1/2 hrs of run time, I think it was closer to 6 hrs including the breaks at the car.

No comments: